The Zhik Isotak X gear has been tested by Team AkzoNobel and Dongfeng Race Team, represents the pinnacle of ocean racing gear and features Zhik’s latest patent pending innovations.
The Isotak® X range features multilayer composite membrane fabric said by Zhik to be 4X more waterproof durable than the marking leading ePTFE ocean fabric. CLICK HERE TO VIEW RESULTS.
All garments have been engineered to have reduced seams reducing weight, maximising flexibility and increasing durability.
Going into the Volvo Ocean Race, Zhik says they found that ocean gear by and large lacked the ability to adapt to different weather and conditions, meaning that crews would have to carry extra gear, or compromise on the performance of their gear. They say that they found that safety and performance was compromised as sailors experienced inhibited central and peripheral vision from protective hoods and peaks, often resulting in a “letterbox” field of view. Uncomfortable, sticky and tight latex seals that wear down too quickly.
Ocean gear needed to be safer, perform better, and be more versatile and more durable. Developed to provide a high level of protection while enhancing the sailor’s field of vision, Hydrovison® is Zhik's new hood visor, made from a rigid & anti-fogging clear polycarbonate which provides unprecedented peripheral vision and protection. The Hydrovision® visor greatly reduces the “letterboxing” effect of traditional hoods, providing at least double the amount of vertical vision, while increasing the protection against the large amounts of water that smash directly into the face. The visor can also be unzipped and swapped out with other Zhik visor types. Patent Pending.
With conditions capable of varying from one extreme to the other on a single leg, having versatile clothing is a big advantage. The new Zhik Adaptive™ hood & collar system allows collars to be interchanged depending on those changing weather conditions. This advantage enables crews to carry one smock with different hoods that are adaptable to all expected conditions, meaning less weight on the boat, and faster, easier gear changes when required. Patent Pending.
The newly developed proprietary neck and wrist Reziseals™ are made from a highly stretcheable, soft and tear resistant textile and polyurethane composite material that offers unprecedented comfort with long-term resistance to degradation. Patent Pending.
Biomotion reflective detailing highlights key points of the human anatomy, enabling greater visual recognition of crew members & allowing them to judge movement and direction in low light conditions. This grants valuable split seconds of response time in cases of emergency.
- ZHIK ADAPTIVE™ SYSTEM
- New interchangeable hoods allow versatility like never before
- HYDROVISION® VISOR
- Anti-fogging and rigid visor that gives unparalled vision
- ADVANCED REZISEALS™
- New super soft & durable composite seal design in wrists and neck
- BIOMOTION REFLECTORS
- Strategically placed reflectors allow easy recognition of body movement
- HYDROBASE® LINING
- In side pockets and collar provides fast drying warmth and comfort
- QUICK STOW HOOD
- PFD compatible hood lets you raise & lower quickly with one hand
- LONG LENGTH REAR
- Longer length rear panels in the garments for added protection
- YKK® ZIPPERS
- Highly durable YKK® zippers throughout
- MULTIPLE POCKETS
- In key locations for easy access & storage of important belongings
- REFLEXITE® REFLECTORS
- Provide high visibility in low light conditions
- CORDURA® REINFORCEMENT
- 1000D Cordura® panel on rear hem of smock protects high wear areas
- Hood included
Why Isotak X will make a competitive difference
Following a diligent and lengthy consultation with offshore racing veterans, Hussey says an immense amount of R&D has gone into Zhik’s latest range of offshore garments, Isotak X. ‘It uses the same fabric as the previous Isotak Ocean, but with some significant innovations.’ New features include:
1. Hydrovision hood – Smock, drysuit and jacket. This has been developed to provide a high level of protection while enhancing the sailors’ field of vision. Hydrovision refers to the new hood visor, a rigid clear polycarbonate that provides unprecedented peripheral vision and protection. The visor can be positioned to cover almost the entire face while still allowing the vision necessary for a helm or trimmer to perform to the highest levels. ‘We developed this as a result of the feedback from sailors in the last Volvo Ocean Race, who wanted something to help them cope better with the firehose of water that hits them at high speed in strong wind and big waves. The hood and visor also stows neatly behind the head so it is easily accessed and deployed with one hand,’ says Hussey.
2. Zhik adaptive hood collar system – Smock and drysuit. ‘This is an adaptable collar/zip-on, zip-off hood for the Isotak X Drysuit and Reziseal Smock,’ says Hussey. ‘We had been experimenting with the idea for a couple of years prior to our partnership with AkzoNobel and Dongfeng. The main advantage is that the crews can carry one smock that is adaptable to all the expected conditions. It can be worn with full ocean collar or with various other collar designs and accessories such as Zhik’s waterproof hoods, and the Avlare or Neoprene balaclavas. With conditions capable of varying from one extreme to the other on a single race leg having versatile clothing is a big advantage.’
3. Reziseal composite seals – Smock, drysuit and jacket (wrists only on jacket). ‘These are polyurethane and high-stretch textile composite constructed into a soft, stretchable and comfortable waterproof seal,’ says Hussey. ‘They’re worlds apart from the sticky latex seals that wear out and deteriorate so quickly. The textile composite has excellent tear resistance and does not break down, so they also have significantly longer life than latex seals.’ Hussey points out that they are also easier to repair, although the need for repairs are less likely in the first place. The seals provide excellent waterproofness and now with greatly improved comfort.