The Zhik Isotak X has been tested by Team AkzoNobel and Dongfeng Race Team, represents the pinnacle of ocean racing gear and features Zhik’s latest patent pending innovations.
The Isotak® X range features their multilayer composite membrane fabric proved by Zhik to be 4X more waterproof durable than the marking leading ePTFE ocean fabric. CLICK HERE TO VIEW RESULTS.
All garments have been engineered to have reduced seams reducing weight, maximising flexibility and increasing durability.
Biomotion reflective detailing highlights key points of the human anatomy, enabling greater visual recognition of crew members & allowing them to judge movement and direction in low light conditions. This grants valuable split seconds of response time in cases of emergency.
- BIOMOTION REFLECTORS
- Strategically placed reflectors allow easy recognition of body movement
- YKK® AQUAGUARD ZIPPERS
- Highly durable YKK® zippers throughout
- LARGE LEG STORAGE POCKETS
- For easy access & storage of important belongings
- REFLEXITE REFLECTORS
- Provide high visibility in low light conditions
- CORDURA® REINFORCEMENT
- 1000D Cordur®a in knee & rear panels protects high wear areas
- LIGHTWEIGHT REMOVEABLE INNER KNEE PADS
- For comfort and protection
- LIGHTWEIGHT REMOVEABLE SEAT PADS
- For comfort and thermal insulation
- SLIM SHOULDER STRAPS
- No bulky buckles, just soft, low profile, adjustable neoprene straps
Why Isotak X will make a competitive difference
Following a diligent and lengthy consultation with offshore racing veterans, Hussey says an immense amount of R&D has gone into Zhik’s latest range of offshore garments, Isotak X. ‘It uses the same fabric as the previous Isotak Ocean, but with some significant innovations.’ New features include:
1. Hydrovision hood – Smock, drysuit and jacket. This has been developed to provide a high level of protection while enhancing the sailors’ field of vision. Hydrovision refers to the new hood visor, a rigid clear polycarbonate that provides unprecedented peripheral vision and protection. The visor can be positioned to cover almost the entire face while still allowing the vision necessary for a helm or trimmer to perform to the highest levels. ‘We developed this as a result of the feedback from sailors in the last Volvo Ocean Race, who wanted something to help them cope better with the firehose of water that hits them at high speed in strong wind and big waves. The hood and visor also stows neatly behind the head so it is easily accessed and deployed with one hand,’ says Hussey.
2. Zhik adaptive hood collar system – Smock and drysuit. ‘This is an adaptable collar/zip-on, zip-off hood for the Isotak X Drysuit and Reziseal Smock,’ says Hussey. ‘We had been experimenting with the idea for a couple of years prior to our partnership with AkzoNobel and Dongfeng. The main advantage is that the crews can carry one smock that is adaptable to all the expected conditions. It can be worn with full ocean collar or with various other collar designs and accessories such as Zhik’s waterproof hoods, and the Avlare or Neoprene balaclavas. With conditions capable of varying from one extreme to the other on a single race leg having versatile clothing is a big advantage.’
3. Reziseal composite seals – Smock, drysuit and jacket (wrists only on jacket). ‘These are polyurethane and high-stretch textile composite constructed into a soft, stretchable and comfortable waterproof seal,’ says Hussey. ‘They’re worlds apart from the sticky latex seals that wear out and deteriorate so quickly. The textile composite has excellent tear resistance and does not break down, so they also have significantly longer life than latex seals.’ Hussey points out that they are also easier to repair, although the need for repairs are less likely in the first place. The seals provide excellent waterproofness and now with greatly improved comfort.